Kumabachi™ is non-treated Bigeye tuna that has been frozen at an Ultra Low Temperature (ULT). It starts with Japan SA grade tuna that is landed live. It is then gilled, gutted and placed into the super-freezer on the vessel within one hour of being caught.
The tuna is frozen to a core temperature of -76°F (-60°C). At this temperature (the tuna’s Eutectic Point), all cellular activity stops…halting any natural decomposition of the fish, and essentially stopping time. When the tuna is thawed, it returns to the properties of the exact moment it was frozen, bringing you an all natural tuna that tastes like it was just caught. Super freezing kills harmful parasites that is commonly present in fresh fish.
Kumabachi tuna brings together the highly technical process of super freezing the tuna with the logistics of delivery and thawing. Each tuna is graded by experts to be of the highest quality. The Ultra Low Temperature is maintained from catch through processing, delivery and storage. The proprietary thawing process naturally reactivates cellular activity – resulting in fish that behaves like it was just caught. The skin and bloodline have already been removed giving customers 100% yield (no waste). Kumabachi is available year round, unlike fresh fish.
- Japan SA grade sashimi loins
- Ultra-low temperature frozen on board to -76F (-60C)
- Super frozen cold chain maintained from the boat to purveyor
- Thawed using a proprietary technology to reactivate cellular activity
- All natural, never treated
- Consistent quality by nature
- Cost competitive to fresh with a more dependable supply chain
- No waste – 100% yield (no skin or red meat)
- Availability – perfect for program business
- Food safety – once refreshed, the product is less than 24hrs old!
- Risk management for corporate chefs on food safety, traceability